Saturday, February 23, 2013

Waffles


Breakfast is my favorite meal and I was hungry for redemption from my pancake disaster. My friend Beth from college used to make the best waffles and I needed a waffle fix and the waffle iron she bought me was in desperate need of some use.  Enter Blueberry Waffles I found the recipe on Post Punk Kitchen where I also found a ton of other tasty recipes I will be trying in the coming weeks.  Back to waffles, here's the recipe:

1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground allspice ( I used nutmeg)
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or your non dairy milk of choice)
3 tbsp pure maple syrup
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries

Sift flour, baking powder, salt and allspice into a mixing bowl. Mix in the oats. Make a well in the center and add applesauce, milk, maple syrup, oil and vanilla. Stir till combined.
Let batter rest for about 5 min to thicken. Fold in blueberries. This is where everything turns blue.
Cook in waffle iron according to waffle iron directions. In my little iron I used a heaping 1/4 cup.
Remember to spray between waffles with oil.

Batter
Naked waffles

   
Ready to eat!

I am happy to report that my waffles were a success, meaning I thought they were delicious. It took some trial and error with the amount of batter to put into the iron and how long to cook them but once I got it down I was a waffle making machine!

1 comment: