Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Vegan pumpkin pie

heThis week I set out to veganize (pretty sure I made that word up) a traditional thanksgiving dish. Tofurkey was not going to be where I started! I hunted down a pumpkin pie recipe that only had 4 ingredients and made a date for a pumpkin pie bake-off with my friend Lorraine. Her recipe was slightly more complicated in that it included tofu.
Here is my recipe which I can thank Healthy. Happy. Life Vegan Blog a million times over for such a simple approach.
The ingredients:
1 1/4 cup of raw cashews
1 can pumpkin purse
1 cup of maple syrup
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
The preparation:
Soak cashews in water and 1/2-1 teaspoon of salt in the fridge over night.
In a food processor or vitamix blend cashews on low-high till almost smooth.
Add in pumpkin purée, maple syrup, and pumpkin pie spice and blend till creamy.
Pour all of this into the pie crust, bake at 400 degrees for 10 min then decrease to 350 for 30-40 min.

As for the pie crust, that recipe is a Lorraine family secret what I can tell you is that it includes flour, olive oil, salt. I am making this pie again for thanksgiving and I will be using a vegan pie crust from whole foods.
My pie is on the left and the right belongs to Lorraine
The bite sized portions we took to our taste tester

As for the results of the bake-off, I win!
We took our slices to an outside source, Lorraine's neighbor who is a regular baker of delicious things. He liked mine because it had the most traditional taste and texture. It's funny, we didn't tell him there was tofu one either one but somehow he knew there was something different about the other pie. Lorraine's pie was much more rich than mine, had a definite molasses taste to it
Here is Lorraine's recipe just in case you want to try for yourself. Pepperplate Easy Vegan Pumpkin Pie Recipe. A giant thank you to Lorraine for always being so willing to be my partner in vegan cooking crime!
Last but not least on this Thanksgiving Eve I would like to thank everyone who reads this blog and in turn supports my efforts to be less domestically disabled. This has been a year full of ups and downs but starting my health coaching business and learning what a joy cooking can be are for sure the best parts! I hope that each one of you has a wonderful Thanksgiving! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment