Monday, December 3, 2012

Energy Bites

Hello all,
Hope that the Thanksgiving holiday was a relaxing time spent with family or maybe some quality time with strangers at the mall. I began my week last week thinking that I needed a quick snack I could grab between meals or just before a workout. I was having trouble keeping my energy up through the day and realized that I was bulldozing my way through the day running on breakfast, a tiny lunch and whatever I could scrap together at dinner. Yes, this health coach was doing all the things I tell everyone not to.
My snack had to meet 3 criteria:
Must be bite sized
Must be easy to make
Ingredients had to be in my house already
The answer: Oatmeal Peanut Butter Balls
Here's what's in them:
2 1/2 C quick oats
3 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter
1/4 c of honey
1/2 c of cacao nibs
2 tablespoons of almond milk
Here's how to make them:
Dump all the ingredients into a large bowl, mix together, this is a VERY sticky situation. I coated my spatula with coconut oil so that I didn't end up with a giant glob of mostly unmixed ingredients. I learned this the hard way! Once it's all mixed up form into balls of any size you like, mine were ping pong sized. Put on a non stick pan or a plate and refrigerate for at least 15 min before you eat them.
I made about 15 balls from this recipe. I am going to make another batch with chia seeds in them. You can also use whatever kind of liquid or nut butter you want as well. The mix in possibilities are endless.
Ingredients



In fitness news I took on a challenge, run a mile a day till the end of the year. My friend Laura, you can find her at bandidablog.com told me about the Runner's World Run Streak she was doing and there really was no excuse not to join her. It's my 6th day of the challenge and I can proudly say I haven't missed a day and my affection for running is slowly creeping back. Thankfully the weather has been more than accommodating for this challenge with temperatures in the 60s. This should also help with my time for the Farolito 5k I am running with Laura on Dec 16th. So if you've got less than 20 min to spare you should join the Run Streak too! Find all the details at Holiday Run Streak

No comments:

Post a Comment