Monday, November 5, 2012

The Salty Taste of Disaster

This week I had grand plans to continue my pumpkin cooking theme. Vegan Pumpkin Pancakes was the meal of choice. I invited myself over to a friend's house and was going to make her and her 2 boys pancake lunch. I had all the ingredients in tow, even had my own pan. Whipped up the batter, put 4 pancakes on the fire. I tried a bit of the batter and it was really salty, thought I just got a bad patch. NOPE. To my great sadness the pancakes were the saltiest baked good I had ever eaten. My friend consoled me, saying cooking without eggs is difficult. The one plus, the texture was quite fluffy, not what I expected with no egg pancakes. I have made a vow to myself to try them again and skip the salt or salt to taste as I mix up the batter. Stay tuned for Pumpkin Pancakes, the success story!
To redeem myself in the kitchen I decided on a snack, something small I was sure I could not mess up, carrot stick fries! I headed to the local co-op to get colored carrots. It might be a small snack but I was determined to add some flare.
Peeled and chopped my carrots, tossed them with salt and olive oil and put them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 15 min.

They came out very well, my friend Alexis even liked them. Give carrot fries a chance, they actually taste a lot like sweet potatoes. Have a great week everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment