Monday, October 29, 2012

Pumpkin

With Fall in full swing the cold cereal I was eating for breakfast so many days a week just didn't seem to be doing the trick. Earlier in the summer I had experimented with overnight oats which were delicious but I wanted a warm start to the chilly morning. After strolling the isles at Trader Joe's I decided it would be a pumpkin oatmeal experiment. This went well with the Great Pumpkin Chase 5k Race I was set to run on Sunday.
I bought some gluten free quick cooking oats, cooked them as the package said. Then I set about adding ingredients till my tongue said it was just right. I felt a bit like Goldilocks tasting the three bears porridge if I'm being honest.
Here is a list of what I mixed into mine, yours might be totally different.
Organic pumpkin puree, about 1/4 cup
Pumpkin Pie Spice, who knew there was such a thing, about 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon, about 4 shakes of the hand
Agave nectar, a healthy dollop

As for that 5k I mentioned earlier, I haven't had that much fun at a run in ages. My friend Laura and I decided a race with a fun theme could be fun and we signed up a week before the race. I had been doing absolutely zero running to prepare for this race. I would like to thank my kettle bells and Insanity for getting me through this race in a very comfortable 33 min. We had so much fun we are scouting fun runs during the Christmas season, running in Santa hat is sure to be a good time!

1 comment: